Olive Oil Ministry
Partnering with 25 other congregations in the DMV region through the Palestinian Olive Oil Ministry (OOM), CtK will sell cold-pressed olive oil and artisanal soap, tapenade, and za'atar from Canaan Fair Trade in the West Bank, plus a cookbook of recipes originating from the Palestinian village of Nahalin.
Among the projects the Ministry has supported are:
• Tent of Nations, an organic farm near Bethlehem owned since 1916 by a Palestinian Christian family trying to build bridges with neighboring Jewish and Muslim communities. Ministry donations enable the family to plant or replant trees, care for their orchards and olive groves, and support the Women’s Education Center and summer youth camps;
• Hospitals in Gaza and the West Bank;
• The Gaza Food Security Program of American Near East Refugee Aid (ANERA);
• Partial scholarships to enable young adults to learn about life in the Holy Land through low-cost fact-finding pilgrimages; and,
• COVID-related emergency relief in Palestine.
Olives have been a staple of the Palestinian economy, diet and culture for millennia. Because trees bear fruit for several hundred years, they are the ultimate long-term investment for Palestinian farming families. As many as 100,000 families depend to some extent on the olive harvest for their livelihoods. Most Palestinian farmers use traditional, organic methods to care for their olive trees.
CtK’s Witness Committee is offering a selection of fair trade products:
• One-half liter bottle of olive oil - Jenin (mild), Nabali (mild), or Rumi (spicy) ($20 each)
• 1 liter tins of Jenin-blend olive oil ($30 each)
• 130 gram jars of tapenade - either olive or tomato ($7 each)
• 150 gram bars of olive oil soap from Nablis ($6)
• Za’atar spice mix—a culinary herb mixed with toasted sesame seeds, dried sumac, salt, and other spices ($6)
• Cookbook ($10)
How to participate in the Palestinian Olive Oil Ministry
Select the items you want and complete the order form by the 4th day of the month. Include an email address and/or phone number.
When you submit your form, it will go to the Witness and Outreach Committee who will place your order.
Write a check for the total amount of your order to Christ the King Lutheran Church and write “Olive Oil Ministry” on the memo line.
Mail the check to Christ the King, including the phrase “ATTN: Olive Oil Ministry” on the envelope.
Once a month, Witness and Outreach will collect olive oil products from the Palestinian Olive Oil Ministry headquarters in Bethesda and bring them back to Christ the King for collection. The Committee will leave the products in bags marked with the name of each buyer in CtK’s lobby (or porch) and notify buyers via email or phone when the products are available for pick up.